Professional Development Grant Officer(s) – NOT an elected position: Professional Development Grant Officers are responsible for collecting all MCGSO Professional Development Grant applications and processing them for approval by completing the relevant evaluation rubric and working with the MCGSO president, treasurer and finance office to initiate the award process. This position is only available to PhD students.
Current PDG Officer:
- Patrick McDeed – firstname.lastname@example.org
The MCGSO provides an annual Professional Development Grants program to Biomedical Graduate Education (BGE) students to advance their scientific education by:
- promoting attendance and presentation of their work at academic conferences and research forums.
- advancing their scientific education by promoting attendance at training courses and workshops relevant to a graduate student’s dissertation research.
- providing opportunities for other activities that promote professional development and community building.
The MCGSO Professional Development Grant Program provides funding for BGE students to help alleviate some of the financial constraints associated with travel. Each award can be as high as $800.
- MS and PhD students in BGE programs at Georgetown University.
- Applicants must have an active representative in MCGSO to be eligible for Professional Development Grants.
- BGE PhD students can receive a maximum of one Professional Development Grant per academic year (August – May).
- If attending workshops and/or courses, then they must be directly relevant to the thesis work of the PhD student.
- If attending workshops and/or courses, then they may be those that enhance technical skills or fundamental subject knowledge.
- If attending workshops and/or courses, then no similar course or workshop should be available to the student at Georgetown University.
- If attending conferences and/or research forums, then students must be presenting their own poster/talk or be a participant in a panel.
Professional Development Grant Submission:
MCGSO accepts Professional Development Grant applications on a rolling basis throughout the year. However, students must apply at least one month before proposed utilization of funds to allow time for the pre-approval process to be completed. Because we only have limited funds for these grants, it is advisable to apply for a Professional Development Grant as soon as you are able to.
Please refer to the Professional Development Grant Instructions for more details on the program and who to contact if you are interested. Please use the Professional Development Grant Budget Template.
Email email@example.com or your corresponding Grants Officer if you have any questions.